Hello! Welcome to the final stage of the current NavTabs -- voting! Thank you for sticking with us through the delay.
We have a lot to cover in this blog post, so let’s dive straight into it.
There is currently no deadline set, due to how busy this time of year is for the admins. The forms will be open for at least a month (til January 17th), but in all likelihood, the deadline will extend this.
I'd also like to address an issue from the nomination period. While spelling a character's name correctly was never outlined as a rule, there was a pretty severe issue with this in voting.
To explain: I took over the voting from Zena. Zena had been keeping a list on the blog post of current votes. When I counted up the votes for this blog post and the voting, I went through the list, CTRL+Fed the names, and counted the votes -- frequently, the results and the total did not match up. More often than not, this was down to people either typoing a name, outright getting a name wrong, or using a character's old name.
32 characters in total had their name spelled wrong a total of 36 times. For 8 of these characters, that mispelling was enough to make them appear as if they had gotten no votes and, had I not have combed for typos, would have resulted in them not progressing to this stage of the voting. In addition to that 8, 4 characters had their hypothetical nomination total cut in half due to typos, misspellings, and incorrect name usage. Given that these totals are used as a tiebreaker, this could have been the difference between winning and losing.
We've been as generous as possible, but some characters did walk away with less nominations than was likely intended, on a scale we don't see for OTMs and I don't ever recall seeing for NavTabs before. While mistakes happen and no one is mad about a typo here and there, I hope users (including myself, because I also got a name wrong) understand that if we are voting for a character because we genuinely like them and think new users deserve to see them, we should be spelling their names correctly.
(We should also know their alignments when we are nominating characters in part because of their alignments.)
Not only do typos and incorrect names make it harder for admins to check who you want to vote for (especially if you haven't linked the characters), it tells the creator of that character that you do not care to get it right. Let's try to show users we care about their characters by double check things like punctuation (full stops, apostrophes), spacing, spelling, and if the character has, in fact, been renamed.
Changes to the rules
Please read the rules section carefully, as there have been updates this round.
Changes to how to vote
Per user feedback via Discord, we have changed up how the voting is done this round of NavTabs.
Users agreed with us that one voting form would be ideal and easier. However, we couldn’t shake the concern that if this was the only option, users may feel inclined (or pressured) to rush through the process. As such, this year you will find five different voting links. Let me explain. To vote this time around you may use either:
- Individual forms: users can vote as has been done previously, via four different links to four different forms.
- The combined form: users can vote on all alignments at once, via one link.
The way in which you vote impacts nothing and users should pick the option that is easiest for them. However, users should take care to vote via only one method -- do not vote on the both the individual forms and combined form.
Since leaving a comment is a requirement to meet the rules, it may be wise to leave a comment below expressing which voting method you are going to use and, if you are using the individual form, to keep yourself right by replying noting which forms you have already filled in. Voting in all four alignments is necessary, so please don’t lose track!
This year, we are hoping to run a project after the voting is done. As such, you will find the form you fill in has a space for a positive comment for a character/multiple characters you did not vote for, and a space for the same IRT a character you did vote for. We would really appreciate you filling these in thoughtfully and giving us some good material to work with -- the project depends on it!
- You should answer all required questions correctly and vote in every alignment.
- You can vote even if you did not nominate any characters.
- However, you must have voted and nominated to be able to win.
- You cannot vote for your own characters.
- You can vote for as many characters as you'd like, but may not vote twice. That is to say, form submission is final. Forms may not be edited after voting and you cannot submit a new version of a given form as a way to vote again.
- Use either the combined voting form or the individual forms. Do not vote via both kinds of form.
- Do not discuss your votes.
- Leave a comment once you have voted.
Failure to follow the rules may lead to your votes being discounted.
- This is a completely separate vote to COTM/SOTM. Nothing from COTM/SOTM should influence voting here and no rules from COTM/SOTM apply to the NavTab Voting unless otherwise stated.
- Winners will be displayed in alphabetical order.
- In the case of a tie, the number of nominations the characters received will be used as a tiebreaker.
- Honestly, there is no formal procedure in the event that the nominations are tied. If this happens, admins will consider: admin/mod status, COTM win status, eligibility to win COTM, activity, etc.
- These pages are to be displayed in a section that is highly browsed by new users/casual visitors. As such, admins do reserve the right to veto winners that are inappropriate or have little to no content on their pages. In the event this happens, we will be transparent about it.
27 Royals were not brought to the voting stage due to their creators not nominating or the character being retired after the nominations took place: Allegra Bambola - 1, Anne Marie Stahlbaum - 1, Antinea De Winter - 4, Armand Handson - 1, Athalante Oeuf - 1, Atlas Myddrin - 5, Beauty Charming - 1, Brittania Pendragon - 1, Cosmo Galante - 1, Einar Fyrtøjet - 1, Emma Webster - 1, Fay Fairer - 2, Ilari Vasiliev - 2, Isabelle LaFortune - 2, Kim-ly Trời - 1, Mei Lien Lianhua - 1, Peony Wang - 4, Primevère "Prim" Charmant - 1, Ratthew Driver - 1, Stupendous "Stu" Charming - 1, Sunniva A. Soleil - 1, Todd Blanc-Charming - 6, Tsukiko Hime - 1, Urtica Swan - 1, Vasilisa Polzin - 1, Victoire d'Artagnan - 1, Zinnia von Mo - 1.
36 Rebels were not brought to the voting stage due to their creators not nominating: Ace C. Richelieu - 2, AJ Charming - 1, Amiable Charming - 1, Andre Fairchild - 1, Arcelia Dancer - 1, Aria Quickstep - 1, Arion Neptune - 7, Aurélie les Mines - 1, Breadie Barmbrack - 1, Brittany Bratwurst - 1, Calico E. Schrodinger - 2, Carmen Rosenbaum - 2, Caspion Arthwys - 2, Chandni Le Fay - 3, Charmaine Lexwington - 3, Conrad Kråke - 1, Cybelle Vedma - 1, Dalia Thompson - 1, Daman Insincere - 1, Dana Joneczewa - 1, Dinah Raven - 1, Ebony McBride - 1, Elegant Charming - 1, Faebian Auberon - 1, Galatea Coppel - 1, Glaucio Pedroso - 1, Jacklyn O'Lantern - 1, Kiyoko Sakura - 2, Lago Moliere - 1, Mahewenn Astolat - 1, Megan Diamonds - 2, Rose de Beaute - 2, Rose Queen - 1, Roya Luk Oie - 1, Sungai Banjirputri - 2, Tiana Bell - 1.
There are 44 Roybels nominated. These include:
20 Roybels were not brought to the voting stage due to their creators not nominating: Anadil - 1, Alluring "Lori" Charming - 3, Anteros Princely - 5, CJ Hook - 2, Dainty Kissington - 5, Fierce Charming - 1, Fierra Phoenix - 1, Io Myddrin - 2, Krystal Glassmountain - 1, Legumes Pea - 1, Lysandra Helena Ambrosia - 1, Mirriah Glass - 2, Prisha Pepperina - 1, Quinn Sp'ades - 1, Scarlet Anne d'Herblay - 1, Tyvainea Thief - 1, Ventura Lass - 1, Vikentiy Polzin - 1, Vivienne du Vallon - 1, Zhu Yusuan - 1.
There are 46 Neutrals nominated. These include:
20 Neutrals were not brought to the voting stage due to their creators not nominating: Aisley Hazelwood - 2, Altair Aura - 1, Amari P. Onasis - 1, Cardyn D'Amond III - 1, Charming Charming - 1, Chiron L. Ärztin - 6, Dawn Towers - 1, Edelle Winter - 1, F.E. Cupid - 1, Fearless Charming - 1, Hiram Wogglebug - 1, Jobal-Jennifer Moria - 1, Juno Tiberia - 1, Kanako "Kanna" Kaito - 1, Kyōhei Kazuki - 1, Maeve Le Fay - 1, Maria Sølvi Østberg - 1, Nicolai Trygvetle Isbjørnsen - 1, Sharon Soup - 2, Venetia Soulsong - 8.
Before you vote, here is a breakdown of what the forms will ask for, in order:
- [Required] Your username.
- [Required] The characters you will be voting for.
- [Required - answer N/A if not applicable] List any of your characters of this alignment that you are not comfortable with winning, if they exist.
- [Required] A positive comment for a character/multiple characters you did not vote for.
- A positive comment for a character/multiple characters you did vote for.
- [Required] There will be an additional, final question here, which I won't disclose.
If you are voting via the combined form, 1+6 will be asked first, in their own section. 2-5 will be asked on their own four times, each in their own section.